Thursday, April 1, 2010

TacoBell Shrimp is Full of Chicken and other findings

Ok, so it's not so much full of chicken as made with chicken broth, but its the principle of the matter.

Today I've embarked on a personal goal to not eat corn syrup for 2 days. If i succeed, I will extend the challenge to a week.  A meager goal, but I've done this sort of thing in the past with Veganism and it can be more challenging than expected.

So while watching television with good friend Nian, we began to speculate on the ingredients of KFC food. What I found on their easily accessible "ingredient statement" was that everything is full of MSG. Including the green beans, lemon meringue pie slice and the Hidden Valley® The Original Ranch® Fat Free Dressing.
Lots of Hydrogenated oils too. Lots. Too many to list.


For the record I've never eaten at a KFC in my life. So I decided to check the only fast food restaurant I do frequent: Taco Bell.

What I found in Taco Bell's ingredient statement was disappointing in that it contained hydrogenated oil in surprising places. Places I've been known to consume. Like in the beans. And in the Fiesta Salsa.....hailed as the healthy solution. 
Oh, and the Shrimp not only CONTAINS SELFISH but also chicken stock.  Making it a poor choice for people who eat fish and not chicken...like myself.

No comments: